If you are looking to build a website, WordPress should be your number one choice. As the most popular content management system in the digital sphere right now, WordPress is renowned for its easy-to-navigate procedures, making it highly appealing to even the most IT-challenged.
To help chaperon you through the site-building process, we’ve prepared a comprehensive step-by-step guide so you can get your website up and running in no time.
- Choose your domain name. If you don’t have a domain yet, you will need to register one. Domains are available through Hosting Australia, crazydomains.com.au, and a plethora of other providers.
- Decide on a hosting plan. There are many options out there when it comes to web hosting, so it’s important to choose one that will best suit your needs. For a basic brochure website, simple hosting plans are the most cost-effective options. If you have an e-commerce store, you might want to look at VPS.
- Choose a template. Here, it’s important to decide on what kind of imagery and mood will best evoke the identity of your brand rather than simply settling on something that you personally find appealing. For those who are new to the game, the best advice is to opt for something clean and straightforward which you can build upon later.
- Design your layout. WordPress offers its users a variety of layouts to play with. Consider things like whether you should invest in multiple navigation bars to help streamline the architecture of your site, and what kind of pages you need to incorporate so your users can get the most out of your digital space.
- Add your logo. This is a simple yet vital step – your logo is your brand’s ambassador, and therefore needs to feature proudly on your website.
- Set up your permalinks. Add your own permalinks as a way to hyperlink to certain web pages and/or blog entries. Permalinks are considered permanent URLs (hence the name), and therefore their structure should never change.
- Set up your homepage. This is the most important page of the site; it is the company’s ‘face’ or brand if you wish. Here, you really need to make your content count – add valuable information that is error-free, throw in some SEO-friendly keywords, and provide contact links.
- Develop your primary/internal pages. Following the creation of your homepage, you should now set up your primary or internal pages – in other words, all other pages on your website. These are the pages your navigation bar will direct your visitors to. Ensure the content on each page is insightful, has a clear purpose, and reflects the page’s title.
- Add widgets and navigation menus. These devices are in place to direct your visitors to the relevant primary pages. It’s important to sync each widget and navigation menu tab with the corresponding webpage in order to make your website smooth to navigate – any inconsistencies will instantly throw users off.
- Add plugins. The main idea of plugins is to allow website creators to add new features to their site and/or improve its functionality. Examples include contact forms and security plugins to secure your site – simply browse through the extensive selection of free plugins available on WordPress and find the most appropriate ones for your website.
- Google Analytics and Webmaster Tools. Connect both of these to monitor traffic, goals, conversions, website errors, messages from Google about your site, and many other important aspects that will help keep your website on top of its game.
*Chat to a Google certified partner, obligation free for 10 mins.
PLEASE BE REST ASSURED, THERE IS NOTHING FOR SALE DURING OUR FREE CONSULTATIONS.
*Digital Quotes Australia is a 100% Free service for consumers to help better educate the Australian market.